How To Set Up GA4 in Popup Analytics
Before You Start #
You'll need 2 things from your GA4 property before you start.
- Make sure you have your GA4 Measurement ID ("G-"). Your Measurement ID will have a G prefix (e.g., G-).
- Create a Measurement Protocol API Secret.
Need to find your GA4 Measurement ID? #
1) Log into the Google Analytics account that has your GA4 property.
2) Hover over the side menu and click Admin (gear icon).
3) Click Data Streams under the Property column.
4) Click the Data Stream you want to use.
5) Click the copy icon next to your Measurement ID.
Are you still on the old Universal Analytics (UA) version? #
If you don't have a GA4 property or only have a UA ("UA-") ID, head over to the Set up Analytics guide to learn how to create a GA4 property.
Need to create or copy your GA4 Measurement Protocol API Secret? #
1) On your Data Stream Details page, click Measurement Protocol API secrets. Follow steps 1-4 above if you need to get back to your Data Stream Details page.
3) Enter a Nickname, then click Create again.
4) Click the copy icon next to your Secret value.
Step 1. Go to the Extensions settings. #
From your WordPress admin dashboard, go to Popup Maker > Settings.
Step 2. Check Enable Google Analytics Tracking? #
Step 3. Enter Your GA4 Measurement ID. #
Step 5. Save Your Settings. #
That's it. Your popups will now send open, close, and conversion stats to your Google Analytics GA4 property.
No Stats? #
You might need to wait up to 48 hours to see stats in your Google Analytics reports. So, don't panic if you don't see them right away.
Remember, not all of your visitors want their actions tracked. That means they can use analytics blockers or opt out of analytics browser cookies. When that happens, their popup events may never reach your reports.
Where To Find Your Stats #
Reports Snapshot #
1) Under the Reports menu, click Reports snapshot.
2) Scroll down to your WHAT ARE YOUR TOP EVENTS? card.
If you don't see any popup events (e.g., popup_open, popup_close) there, click View events. This brings you to the Engagement > Events: Event name page. See the next section to learn more.
Engagement > Events: Event name #
1) Under the Reports > Engagement menu, click Events: Event name.
2) Scroll down to your table of event stats and type "popup_" into the search field (magnifying glass icon). Hit return.
This will reload your stats table with all Popup Maker events, such as popup_open, popup_close, and popup_conversion. In the example below, we searched on "popup_open".