Add a Popup Trigger
A popup trigger is an event (such as a click or some length of time) that causes your popup to display.
In this article, you’ll learn how to add a new popup trigger that controls when your popup comes into view.
Before You Start #
How to find your popup triggers #
Popup triggers are found in your Popup Settings right under the popup content editor. See the screen capture below.
The Popup Settings are not to be confused with the Popup Maker plugin settings.
The Popup Settings apply to an individual popup. The Popup Maker plugin settings apply to the entire plugin.
Begin with Creating or Editing a Popup #
To get to the popup triggers, you’ll need to create or edit a popup.
Create a Popup #
To create a popup, click Popup Maker > Create Popup in your WordPress admin area.
Edit a Popup #
You can edit a popup from your WordPress admin area by following these steps:
- Go to Popup Maker > All Popups.
- Hover over the name of the popup you want to edit.
- Click the name of the popup or click Edit.
A Quick Summary of Trigger Types #
Before you add a trigger, you should know there are a few types of triggers.
- Click Open: Displays a popup on a click
- Time Delay / Auto Open: Displays a popup after an amount of time
- Form Submission: Displays a popup after a form is submitted
- Exit Intent (premium): Displays a popup when someone moves their cursor off the body of a page
- Scroll (premium): Displays a popup when someone scrolls down a percentage of the page or when an element comes into view
To see a list of all premium triggers, visit our popup triggers page.
Add a New Popup Trigger #
Now that you're either creating or editing a popup, you can add a popup trigger. Here's how to do that.
1. In the Popup Settings section under the popup editor, click the Triggers tab on the side menu.
2. Click Add New Trigger.
3. Select the trigger type in the dropdown.
4. If you only want the popup to show up once for each visitor, check the Prevent popup from showing to visitor again using a cookie? checkbox. Then, select when to stop showing the popup in the Stop showing popup once visitor takes this action dropdown.
5. Click Add.
If you checked the Prevent popup ... using a cookie setting, you'd see a new cookie entry appear below the Triggers section of the Popup Settings.
6. Choose the trigger settings you want depending on your trigger type.
See the following guides for the trigger settings of each free trigger type:
Visit our popup triggers page for setup instructions for each of our premium triggers.
7. Click Add to finish adding the trigger. Afterward, you'll see the triggers and any cookies you added.
8. Click Publish if this is a new popup to save and publish your popup. Otherwise, click Update to save your popup settings.
Congrats! You've added a popup trigger.
What's Next? #
Check out our Beginner's Guide to Popup Triggers if you haven't yet.
Need to edit a popup trigger or cookie? Make sure you read the Other Actions section coming up next.
Practice what you just learned using our free demo site.
Visit our Resources page to learn more or send us a help request.
Other Actions #
Edit a trigger
To edit a trigger, click the pencil icon in the Actions column for the trigger you want to edit. To delete a trigger, click the x icon in the Actions column of the trigger you want to delete.
Edit a cookie
To edit a cookie, click the pencil icon in the Actions column for the trigger you want to edit. To delete a cookie, click the x icon in the Actions column of the cookie you want to delete.
Add a new cookie
To add a new cookie, click the Add New Cookie button See our Cookies options settings help guide for more details.
- By default, Popup Maker creates a hidden click trigger with a CSS class selector of
.popmake-123and an attribute selector of
[href="#popmake-123"]. So, if you don't add a popup trigger, you can still use the CSS class selector
.popmake-NNN, where NNN is your popup's ID number to launch your popup.
- If you want a popup to display unlimited times, don't check the Prevent popup ... using a cookie setting and delete any cookies in the cookies section or your Triggers settings.